Monday, July 7, 2014

Dance with my Father

I remember my seventh birthday. July 1984 we just returned from Cleveland. That trip stands out to me because it was one of the rare occasions during my childhood that I actually enjoyed the constant "she looks just like Ronald" that I have "endured" all of my life.


I never expected my father to suddenly pass away. Never did I believe that we weren't going to be together for many years to come. Of course I miss sharing the milestones with him. My mothers strength and resiliency. David and Kazia. David is Daddy fifty years ago-the same walk. I am with Courtney all the time and we hardly ever argue. He would of loved that but then again Samantha plays a big role in that as well.


I know that God's Will is His Way and that my father has prepared a place for me with Our King. As I embark on another milestone, I drift back to my 29th birthday and how Daddy and I danced all night. How the music wasn't the focus but the security and love I received in his arms was. How I was nervous to dance in front of all those people, song after song but my Daddy never let me go.How he spun me around and I felt like we were in the living room dancing in front of the big stereo to "Street Life", "Native New Yorker" or "Careless Whisper".

My father taught me many things. How to tie my shoes, thread a needle and fry chicken just to name a few. He built a volcano for me and came to the Science Fair, practiced with me for the Spelling Bee and Storytelling contests. All those speeches in school I wowed the world with, he was my audience for weeks. I was that great ass representative at Verizon because Daddy practiced bridging to the sale with me until I could sell a blind person a map.

My final gifts to my father are to keep his memory alive to Kayla and all the others that come into our family. Kayla is so sweet and humble. A beautiful child who actually acts at times that she is unaware of her beauty. That makes her even more gorgeous to me.

When I said goodbye to Daddy with Nana and Aunt Jetaun I made a promise to him and God that I would live my life for both of us. I know that at times I can get overwhelmed with the realities of life and forget to be content with the opportunity to experience today. I put other peoples needs ahead of my own. My father knew this way before I acknowledged this.

I miss you Daddy but thank you for guiding me from above. Tell Nana yes I still pick out the best greeting cards after Ronald....xoxo

"Look at this face, I know the years are showing
 Look at this life, I still don't know where I'm going....
 I don't know MUCH but I know I love YOU
 And that may be all I need to know."

No comments:

Post a Comment